/ on /
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 oz / 30g flour
- ½ cup / 120 ml whipping cream
- 7 oz / 200g frozen spinach (chopped)
- ¼ cup / 60ml whipping cream
- 5 eggs, separated into whites an yolks
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- butter to grease the ramekins
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat
- Add the flour, cook for ca. 5 minutes, do not brown (reduce heat if necessary)
- Slowly stir in ½ cup / 120 ml whipping cream. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat, cook for ca. 30 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F; / 200°C
- Grease 6 ramekins with butter.
- In a separate pot bring 1 cup / 240ml water to a boil. Add a bit of salt and the frozen spinach. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Drain.
- Stir spinach into the Béchamel. Add ¼ cup / 60ml of cream. Add egg yolks. Stir well.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks. Carefully combine with the spinach-bechamel mixture. Avoid deflating the foam as much as possible.
- Distribute equally over the ramekins. Bake for ca. 15-20 minutes until the surface starts to brown lightly.
- Serve immediately.