2 tablespoons butter
4 large Spanish onions, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
9 cups beef broth
3/4 cup red wine
3 tablespoons brandy
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Puff Pastry Roll
egg white (1-2 eggs)
4 -6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- SOUP: In thick cast iron pot (with a lid), melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and salt, cover and cook until softened, stirring occasionally about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until caramelized, about 30 minutes more.
- Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, partially covered about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Cool and refrigerate.
- PASTRY PUFF: Preheat the oven to 400°F Roll out one sheet of puff pastry and sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese, fold into 3 and roll out again. Cut out 4 lids. Divide the soup among ovenproof soup bowls. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of soup and cover with the pastry lids with a little egg wash seal. Bake the soup in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheesy puff pastry is golden in color and well risen.